Search
Close this search box.
Search
Close this search box.

Electric Guitar Learning Methods

The best way to learn the electric guitar

Our ‘Beginner’s Guide To Learning The Electric Guitar’ collection was made to aid you with your desire to study a brand-new instrument. We are here every step of the way, and this section focuses on the types of learning methods that are available.

Electric Guitar Learning Methods

What Solutions Are Best For Studying The Electric Guitar

People learn in different ways. Some have got photographic memories; some can speed read, while some can’t read in any way. We are all different, and for this reason, there isn’t one ‘correct’ method of mastering a musical instrument.

We have four very clear strategies for learning. They are:

  • Traditional, face-to-face, one-to-one learning
  • Traditional, face-to-face, group lessons
  • Video Tutorials
  • Apps 
If you’re a beginner or have been playing for years, one of those four options will be perfect for you. It’s just a matter of finding out which be is most suitable.
Electric Guitar Learning Methods

Traditional, face-to-face, one-to-one lessons

Having private, one-to-one lessons can be an incredible experience if you find the right teacher. There really is no substitution for absorbing all the knowledge of your teacher and the personal connection and attention a teacher will bring to your music experience.

Out of all the options on this page, this is the most expensive, but I can’t stress how much people benefit from one to one tuition.  As usual with things in life, you tend to get what you pay for…

Our guitar consultant – Fred Lawton, was taught by Johnny Heyes and Mike Walker at the Royal Northern College of Music. Johnny and Mike are two of the best guitarists in the UK in almost any genre.

There is a problem though: Not every teacher has their experience. In fact, the scary thing is that to become a music teacher, you don’t need any qualifications at all. 

So how can you know that you’ve found a good teacher?

Quality control:

Look for the teacher’s credentials. Have they got a qualification from a good music school? Do they have good reviews from previous students? Have they been a professional player or teacher? Did they study with a great teacher themselves?

These are important questions to answer but you need to find a really experienced teacher who you personally connect with. One who understands your needs and that makes you look forward to going to see them every week.

Electric Guitar Learning Methods

PROS

CONS

Traditional, face-to-face, Group lessons

Electric Guitar Learning Methods

Many teachers also offer group lessons. The ethos is similar to one-to-one sessions, but the cost is much lower as the teacher’s fee is split amongst all the students in the group. Whilst you do get personalised feedback in group lessons, it’s worth remembering that you will progress as a group at the speed of the slowest group member

PROS

CONS

Video Tutorials

Free Courses

Youtube Ted'S List

YouTube is of course the global superpower in regards to video content.  You can find a significant amount within this platform for electric guitar lessons and it’s impossible to review them all.

Like the majority of mass appeal platforms, 95% of the content is complete garbage, with the other 5%  free gold dust.  Finding that 5%, however, is definitely tricky!

Countless players on youtube have offered free video tutorials on how to play the acoustic guitar. Justin Sandercoe – ‘JustinGuitar ‘ was one of the first guitar tutors to use the youtube platform and has built his channel around teaching beginners. He’s had tens of millions of views and is one of the most respected online teachers. 

If you don’t wish to shell out money and are prepared to devote enough time while seeking for top quality content that drives you, then there is no superior place.

Paid Courses

Paid Video

With thousands of paid programs online, it’s totally unattainable to examine each of them. So we thought we would simply offer the two most desired alternatives:

 

It’s not just another beginner’s guitar course like so many of the products around. In fact, it appeals to guitarists of almost any level, as nearly all guitarists recognise that they need to improve their fretboard knowledge. It’s also applicable to guitarists in any genre, so the potential market is all but the most experienced guitarists – not just beginners, or blues/rock/metal guitarists, but nearly all guitarists!

And no, it’s not yet another overpriced eBook – it’s a high-quality software application that you’ll love.  So try Guitar Notes Master now by clicking here.

Intuition Guitar have created some excellent books and ebooks that can really help kick you off in the right direction.  Take a look at what they offer here.

PROS

CONS

About the Author

watch now
Music Tutorials
Amazing Electric Guitar Tutorials FOR YOU

Zoom Lessons