Search
Close this search box.
Search
Close this search box.

Viola Learning Methods

The best way to learn the Viola

The ‘Beginner’s Guide To Learning The Viola’ range was created to offer the best possible start with your newly purchased musical instrument. This article helps you figure out the best learning methods for you and your viola.

Viola Learning Methods

Most important types of Learning Methods for Viola

Humans learn in different ways. Some have photographic memories; some can speed read, while some can’t read at all. We are all unique, and for this reason, there isn’t one ‘correct’ technique of learning a musical instrument.

We have four very clear strategies for learning. They are:

  • Traditional, face-to-face, one-to-one learning
  • Traditional, face-to-face, group lessons
  • Video Tutorials
  • Apps 
Whatever your very own circumstance, one of these four choices are going to be well suited for you.  We only need to discover which one…
Viola Learning Methods

Traditional, face-to-face, one-to-one courses

If you think of viola lessons, the initial image is most likely something similar to this…

Getting personal, one-to-one lessons can be an incredible experience if you discover the right teacher. There really is no substitution for taking in all the knowledge of your teacher.

Our Founder, Robert Emery , was taught by Ruth Nye at the Royal College of Music. She really was one of the best professors on the planet, and the point that Robert could soak up her expertise in 4 years ended up being a precious gift.

There is a problem though:

Not every instructor has got the knowledge of Ruth Nye.

In fact, the frightening factor is the fact that to be a music instructor, you actually don’t require any accreditation in any way. Not a thing. Zip. As a complete newbie, you could be taking money from individuals and pass yourself off as a professional. And this, beloved viewer, could be the biggest downside to a conventional coach:

Quality control.

You will need to choose a really experienced teacher who you connect with. Who recognizes both you and your needs. Who makes you giggle. Whom you enjoy going to see every week. If you can find this person, you will have then achieved something the majority of people fail at. Becoming empowered by your coach is the magical dust that can keep you learning for years.

Of all the possibilities in this article, this is the most expensive.  But as usual with things in life, you tend to get what you pay for…

Viola Learning Methods

PROS

CONS

Conventional, face-to-face, Class classes

Viola Learning Methods

Dependent upon your geographical area, you might be able to discover group sessions.  The ethos is similar to one-to-one lessons, though the pricing is much lower because the teacher will have to divide their time between all of the students.

For orchestral musical instruments, for instance, violas, class lessons are quite a smart idea, to begin with.  Nearly all professional viola player, of course, find themselves as one of several violas inside an orchestra. 

PROS

CONS

Video Tutorials

Free Courses

Youtube Ted'S List

YouTube is the most significant source of video clips on the globe. There is absolutely no better place than YouTube to find instructional information for viola. Due to the sheer volume of choices on the platform, it’s not possible to review them all.

Like a lot of things in daily life, 95% of the content material you’ll come across is rather terrible, with the other 5% being absolutely fantastic. The trick is to discover the 5%, and that can be easier said than done.

We can give you a head-start though.  We quite like String Life and Brittany Bergman.

One word of warning: If you want to learn classical viola, we would strongly recommend having real-life human teaching you, in the same room!  The reason? Classical viola is far more complicated than playing pop songs.  However, if you’re pop-tastic, then YouTube is a great option.

In case you don’t want to spend any money, and therefore are happy to spend enough time while seeking for high-quality content that drives you, then there is no superior place.

Paid Courses

Paid Video

With numerous paid courses online, it’s totally impossible to analyze all of them. Therefore we thought we would simply supply you with the widely used option:

 

Udemy has one viola specific course and lots of violin courses, so make sure you don’t purchase a violin course by mistake!

The viola course seems good; it has 2.5 hours of lessons, covers the absolute basics and (at the time of writing) costs just £13.99.

In the course, you’ll find out how to set up your viola, learn some pieces and scales along the way and get a solid foundation for your technique.

PROS

CONS

watch now
Music Tutorials
Amazing Viola Tutorials FOR YOU